Friday, March 30, 2012

What is the key to loving God?

For the majority of my Christian life I wondered inwardly how could I best love and serve God. When I was saved at 11, nothing in my life was ever the same again. As a Christian teenager I knew that I needed to be a witness for the gospel, mostly in the way I lived out my life so that my verbal witnessing may be of some value.
It wasn't until I read the third chapter of Charles Colson's book "Loving God" did I completely understand the key to the Christian life was found in one simple word.....obedience. I was in my third year of seminary when a friend of mind found me in the school's library. I was just looking around and he came up to me and said, "Have you ever read this book?" pointing to "Loving God".  He went on to tell me it would be a Christian Classic in the truest sense of the word like JI Packer's "Knowing God". I bought it then and there and could not put it down.
In the third chapter Colson explains "that unquestioning acceptance of and obedience to Jesus' authority is the foundation of the Christian life. Everything else rests upon this."
He goes on to explain in the Kornfeld story, "God wants from His people is obedience, no matter what the circumstances, no matter how unknown the outcome.
It was always been this way. God calling His people to obedience and giving them at best a glimpse of the outcome of their effort.
"Most of the great figures of the Old Testament died without ever seeing the fulfillment of the promises they relied upon. The great colonial pastor Cotton Mather prayed for revival several hours each day for twenty years; the Great Awakening began the year he died. The British Empire finally abolished slavery as the Christian parliamentarian and abolitionist leader William Wilberforce lay on his deathbed, exhausted from his nearly fifty-year campaign against the practice of human bondage. Few were converted during Hudson Taylor's lifelong mission work in the Orient; but today million of Chinese embrace the faith he so patiently planted and tended."
While some might think this pattern is unfair, I agree with Colson when he states, "The very nature of the obedience He demands is that it be given without regard to circumstances or results."
I find it senseless that people shout to the top of their lungs how much they love Jesus but live a life contrary to His spoken word.
When a lawyer tried to trick Jesus by asking the question "which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" Christ's response was "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind." (Matthew 22: 34-40)
And how do we love the Lord? Jesus gives us the answer "If you love me you will obey what I command." (John 14:15).
As Colson writes, "And that leads us to just one place: the Holy Bible. to obey His commandments, we must know His commandments. that means we must know and obey the Scriptures, the key to loving God and the starting point for life's most exciting journey."

No comments:

Post a Comment